Frequently Asked Questions - Volunteering


Male Violence Against Women ~ What can women do?

  • Get information about your rights in your workplace and your home
  • If you are isolated, join a women's group to get some support
  • In both public places and in the home, offer your support and alliance to a woman you know is dealing with male violence
  • If you are in a relationship with a man who is violent towards you or your children, call a transition house or rape crisis centre to get help and information - we'll help you escape.
  • If your employer isn't acting effectively to stop sexual harassment in your workplace, call a rape crisis centre to get backup.
  • Volunteer at your local rape crisis centre, transition house or women's centre

These things are simple. Ending male violence against women isn't mysterious. It requires the combined effort of all of us to end rape, sexual assault and woman beating.

What can men do?

Great! It's a critical time for women to get involved in women-run organizations. By supporting a women's advocacy group you help ensure the group can be there for you when you need information, support and advocacy.

If you live in the Greater Vancouver Regional District, please consider volunteering with Vancouver Rape Relief and Women's Shelter. Women volunteers are an essential part of keeping the 24 hour crisis line open and available. We provide free training for women after a volunteer interview. For more information see our Get Involved menu. To book an interview call (604) 872-8212.

If you live in another part of British Columbia there may be a rape crisis line, transition house or women's centre in your town or on your campus if you are a student. You can find a partial list of women's centres in B.C here.